History of Hans Schmidt
The cargo ship Hans Schmidt (ex Albireo) carries the name of its last owner from Germany.
This cargo steamship got halved into two pieces by a naval mine explosion, in January of 1943.
The mine exploded at the height of the front storages, where all the weapons ans ammunition were carried. The shipwreck thus lies divided in two parts on the seafloor, as a 10 meters long prow, while the rest of the deck can be found after about 10 meters. The commanding bridge was somewhat preserved. There are many remains of old nets on every part of the ship, so trying to get inside the ship is not recommended.